On Sun, Nov 11, 2012 at 5:55 PM, Ed C. <eminmn at sysmatrix.net> wrote:

> Sorry about the scattergun approach. I was trying to provide as much
> context as possible for dealing with the main question: why didn't
> Debian figure out the Thinkpad wifi requirements? I've installed
> slackware, red hat, and a couple of buntu's and the wifi always worked

Two thoughts:

I had an issue dual booting my Win7 laptop and Fedora.  For some
reason, rebooting the laptop into the other OS would cause the wifi
NIC to go offline.  In order for the NIC to function, I ahd to shut
down the laptop, then power it on between OS changes.  That was
specific to an Intel B/G card.

For awhile the Atheros driver was considered "dirty" (as in contained
code from undetermined sources) so Debian did not include the drivers
in the standard distro.  I don't know if this is related or not to
your issue, but it could explain why Debian didn't just see and use
your wifi.  Sometimes Debian doesn't include "normal" stuff to remain
free of copyright issues.

Can you please post the output of 'lspci -nn'?  That will give us a
hint about your wifi card and perhaps hint at the issue.

Brian