My last few machines have been Dell Latitudes.  I've been happy with them,
they're built well.  My current machine is an
E6520<http://notebooks.com/2011/07/06/dell-latitude-e6520-review/>
which
fits you're description but they don't seem to be offering it anymore.  I
didn't look to see what replaced it.  In general I have not had any
problems with Linux on Dell machines as long as I pay some attention and
choose machines with intel networking and intel or nvidia graphics.