On Wed, 30 May 2012, Brian Wall wrote:

> On Wed, May 30, 2012 at 10:16 AM, Mike Hicks <hick0088 at tc.umn.edu> wrote:
>
>> Or try switching to an fdisk tool that produces a GUID partition table
>> (GPT), which shouldn't have problems with partitions of that size.  It
>> looks like the tool for that is "gdisk", though I've never used it...
>
> That fixed it!!  Switching from MBR to GPT was quick and painless with
> gdisk, it re-wrote the partition table and now I have my partitions
> persistent after reboot.

That was the same thing that got me when I went from 2TB HDDs to 3TB HDDs.
This is going to be happening to a lot of people in the next few years.
It would be nice if the software (e.g., fdisk) could do a better job of
explaining why it will fail.

Pay attention to what gk wrote -- he helped me a lot.

Mike