My old antiX-based Swift Linux worked on Windows 98 era computers, but I've been getting complaints that the new Swift Linux (based on Linux Mint Debian Edition) does not work on these old computers.  It's not about RAM or processor speed - it's about driver support.

Is there a way I can provide in the new Mint-based Swift Linux the drivers that make antiX Linux compatible with the Windows 98 era computers?  Or would this require messing around with the kernel?  (I have no idea how to properly do this.)

That said, if I'm forced to choose between supporting Windows XP era computers and supporting Windows 98 era computers, I'm picking the former and ceding the latter to Puppy Linux and antiX Linux.  I don't have the know-how to make Puppy Linux fully compatible with the Debian software repository, and I don't have the know-how to give antiX Linux the superior codec/hardware support of Linux Mint.  Given that Windows XP is already more than 10 years old, I consider the mid-2000s computers to be the future of the lightweight Linux market.

--
Jason Hsu <jhsu802701 at jasonhsu.com>