On Sun, 2012-05-27 at 15:58 -0500, Brian Wall wrote:
> I'm rebuilding one of my servers at home.  I used to have (6) 500GB
> SATA drives in this box, however I recently replaced a few now I have
> (3) 500G and (3) 2TB drives.
[snip]
>  Then I reboot, and /proc/partitions shows:
>
>    8        0  488386584 sda
>    8        1   19530752 sda1
>    8        2    9765888 sda2
>    8        3  459086368 sda3
>    8       16  488386584 sdb
>    8       17   19535008 sdb1
>    8       18    9767520 sdb2
>    8       19  459081472 sdb3
>    8       48 1953514584 sdd
>    8       64 1953514584 sde
>    8       32  488386584 sdc
>    8       33   19535008 sdc1
>    8       34    9767520 sdc2
>    8       35  459081472 sdc3
>    8       80 1953514584 sdf
>
> Hmm.... where'd the partitions go on sdd, sde, and sdf?

I guess my only thought is that those drives are very big, so there
might be some sort of filtering going on which prevents them from being
added.

There's a fairly hard limit for DOS-style partition tables which only
allows them to be 2TB in size.   Those drives are only showing up as
1.9-something TB each, so they should be okay, but you might try
shrinking the partitions slightly to see if they start showing up after
the boot process.

Or try switching to an fdisk tool that produces a GUID partition table
(GPT), which shouldn't have problems with partitions of that size.  It
looks like the tool for that is "gdisk", though I've never used it...

--
Mike Hicks <hick0088 at tc.umn.edu>