I've always found that your app development needs to be on the leading edge of adequacy(tm).  If you need an app that will run on 2.3, build it there.  If your app requires some of the capabilities on 3.0, you need to at least have that.  Any app built for 2.3 will run on 4.0, but WILL NOT run the other way.  The 'droid APIs are layered so that you can always be upwardly compatible, but you can not run an app on an earlier release, 'droid has checks for that.

One of the biggest compatibility issues I've run into is the screen sizes vary so much between devices.  There are facilities in 'droid to handle this, but you have to implement them.  I have seen several 'droid apps that were designed to work fine on most small screen phones, but when you run it on a tablet...  well it's not pretty.  This can mostly be tested with the Eclipse emulator though.

---
Wayne Johnson,                         | There are two kinds of people: Those
3943 Penn Ave. N.          | who say to God, "Thy will be done,"
Minneapolis, MN 55412-1908 | and those to whom God says, "All right,
(612) 522-7003                         | then,  have it your way." --C.S. Lewis