I think one of the issues that has been eluded to is that the cheap tablets may not have the hardware devices that the smartphones do.  Things like cameras (both front and read facing), GPS, WiFi, USB device access, flash memory, etc.  If you want to include support for these in the demo app you write, you'll need a device with the hardware.  Part of the sexiness of 'droid are from those capabilities.  In addition, many apps build apon things like the 'droid mapping layer, which pretty much depends on WiFi or Phone Networking.  Ditto with the HTTP scraping/mashing capabilities.  Leaving these off, 'droid is just another Java appliance.

---
Wayne Johnson,                         | There are two kinds of people: Those
3943 Penn Ave. N.          | who say to God, "Thy will be done,"
Minneapolis, MN 55412-1908 | and those to whom God says, "All right,
(612) 522-7003                         | then,  have it your way." --C.S. Lewis