If you're just developing for fun, it doesn't matter. Get a Kindle Fire,
root it and put Ice Cream Sandwich on it and you have a cheap and pretty
good Android tablet.

If you want to develop seriously, youll need several devices with several
versions of Android. You probably want a Nexus device since that's the
closest thing to a 'standard'. And you'll want an unlocked one so you're
not hindered by carriers.

Can you tell us more about what you're trying to do?