On Sun, 20 May 2012, Craig Rosenblum wrote:

> Okay If i talk about what I am working on? Or would that bore you?

It wouldn't bore me at all.  I spent loads of time on similar kinds of
systems for organizing my photos.  I now have a bunch of DVD ISOs that I
would like to make easily accessible using some kind of system of HTML
pages, so this is definitely a project I want to get into.

> This is all in bash, html and jquery
>
> 1. Using a bash file to parse all my movie folders

I don't know what kind of parsing that is, but maybe it won't matter to my
case.  I put files in directories by genre (Family, Comedy, Drama, etc.).

> 2. Grab imdb data via json api to get correct names, years, imdbid,
> posters

Now that is huge.  I've never heard of json api.  When I look it up it
says it's about wordpress blogs.  I guess it works with IMDb, too.  But
how are you telling json which IMDb page to go to?

I wrote a little script that reads in a DVD ISO filename, which for me is
a movie title with a year, and it creates an IMDb query string, launches
firefox and shows the result.  It does pretty well at that, but I have to
make sure it grabs the right page.

To do what I think you are doing, I guess I would just need to supply a
list of IMDb accession codes in a hash table with the filenames.  But then
there is the tricky part of parsing the IMDb pages.  I did a lot of that
with allmusic.com data using bash scripts (that had a lot of perl code
inside).

> 3. Create html page that will display movie data via json as wall of
> polaroid movie poster effect, so that you can move around all the
> posters and then pick a movie to play

That sounds great.

> 4. Play movie with in the browser

I would like the browser to call VLC, which is what I use to watch these
DVD ISOs.  There are some problems with watching them in the browser, at
least for me.  I have two monitors, one is a 42" HDTV, and the browser
doesn't maintain fullscreen mode when I move the cursor to the other
monitor.  VLC has no such problem.

> Here is are the teaser screenshots:
>
> http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/651/polaroidscreenshot.png/
>
> http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/205/playerscreenshot.png/

Wow.  The first one shows images that look like a pile of photos.  Do you
just push them around with the mouse as if they were a pile of photos?
That's amazing and kind of fun, but I think I would just tile the images
on the screen, boring as that is.

Mike