I'm not against learning perl, I am just trying to learn enough of bash to
see what I can or can not do.

For a few year's i've worked with xbmc, have it installed on a soft-modded
original xbox. And it is a lot of work to get movies/tv shows in the
correct format to work with xbmc or any other format so that is easy to
work with. Like subtitles, fanart, posters, banners, etc.

With the advent of html5/css3 I thought why not use the browser as my
interface to my video collection, there are a lot of jquery plugins that
can do crazy effects etc.

So with the browser selected as my interface, now I have to find a way to
make local video files playable.

I want to take the power of bash to work with all kinds of data, and use it
to manage and organize all my technological toys/tools, my cellphone, my
ipod touch, my xbox, my video collection, etc.

my technology motto of the year is "Be organized, be planned, be automated"

Now that I don't have to worry about antivirus, antispyware, etc, I can
focus my energies on cool projects...

What kind of stuff do you guys do for fun?