> On Thu, 10 May 2012, Yaron wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 10 May 2012, Mike Miller wrote:
>>
>>> That's fair, but did you believe this part of the article?:
>>>
>>> "Eight to ten million units shipped last year world-wide.
>>
>> It's not so much that I don't belive it, but... well, have YOU seen a
>> computer that had shipped with Ubuntu pre-installed?
>
> No, but that's world-wide and I think the EU countries and India are both
> much more accepting of Linux than is the corporate-dominated USA.
>

>> A few years ago with the whole netbook thing going on, a lot of those
>> shipped with Linux. Then that just died off. Then the whole netbook
>> thing died off. So I dunno.
>
> Again, it might be different in Europe and Asia.
>
> I think the Ubuntu 12.04 on my Asus netbook would be pretty hard to beat.
> If people just knew how to use it, they would love it.
>
> What is the attraction of the iPad, anyway?  I see why it is good for
> reading -- very good, probably (I haven't used one) -- but for most of the
> stuff I do, which involves a *lot* of typing, it is not appealing to me.
> The netbook is just about right -- small/light enough, fits in front of me
> on the plane, and has great battery life (now with hibernation!).  It's
> great for typing and for watching movies -- presumably better than iPad
> which doesn't hold itself up for viewing or have a keyboard for typing.
> I still can't believe the killer netbook I got for my daughter at Costco
> for $250 back in November -- way cheaper than iPad.
>
> Mike

> Message: 3
> Date: Thu, 10 May 2012 03:52:48 -0500 (CDT)
> From: Yaron <tclug at freakzilla.com>
> To: TCLUG <tclug-list at mn-linux.org>
> Subject: Re: [tclug-list] Ubuntu in the news
>
> On Thu, 10 May 2012, Mike Miller wrote:
>
>> What is the attraction of the iPad, anyway?
>
> Whoa, how did we get to THAT? (:
>
> Disclaimer: I don't have an iPad. I do, however, have an HP Touchpad and
> an Amazon Kindle, both of which are running the latest version of Android,
> both of which - put together - cost less than half of what an iPad does.
> And I woudln't have got either of them without the huge discounts I
> managed to get.
>
> I think tablets are good for... less-interactive computing than a, you
> know, real computer. Yeah, you touchthem and move stuff around, but I
> wouldn't want to type anything longer than a really short email on them.
> Although considering how good voice recognition is getting on Android it
> may well be an option soonish.
>
> However, I can't use a netbook for anything serious, either. Even if it's
> "just" typing. First of all, the keyboard is just too small. It's like a
> toy keyboard. Second, the screen is too small. It's like a toy screen.
> Netbooks are like toy computers. So are tablets, really.
>
> Now I'm not saying nobody should have a netbook, and I'm CERTAINLY not
> saying people shouldn't put Ubuntu or whatever Linux they want on any
> [...]

Less interactive is the Key in the measure for tablets, either iPad or
android.
I can see it as a very locked down computer for retail POS systems.
Think "Ok push the cheeseburger button, then ask if they want fries with
that."
If your like me you really do not want to develop in Java(syntax too
verbose) and would rather use QT and python, or QT and C++.
You would like to see a QT implementation of the GNU/Linux tablet interface.
Is ubuntu releasing a tablet ? I seem to have heard something..........

,Ron "First to join the singularity."