The new Ubuntu 12.04 comes with the Ubuntu Software Center, but it does
not have Synaptic anymore, and I guess they dropped Synaptic one or two
versions ago.  Synaptic was pretty easy to use and I could easily select
dozens of packages and let the installation run unattended.  The Software
Center doesn't seem to work that way -- I click "Install" and it starts
installing, but while one package is installing, I can't choose others.

Synaptic can be selected in the Software Center, so I did that, but it
won't run.  I get this error:

No protocol specified
No protocol specified

(synaptic:12287): Gtk-WARNING **: cannot open display: :0

I read through the following huge pile of junk only to find that the
"solution" is to use 11.10 instead of 12.04 ... not helpful ...

I think the second-to-last post (page 4) is explaining the source of the
problem, but that isn't helping me because I don't understand how to fix
it (or if that's even possible).

Meanwhile, it sounds like some people think Aptitude is the thing to use
-- even better than Synaptic.  Any opinions?  I guess I'll have to try it.

I have to admit that I find some of the Ubuntu team's choices to be hard
to understand.  Is there something more important than their package
management system?  Probably not to me, at least, so they shouldn't screw
it up.  It's why I use Ubuntu instead of something else, I think.  Well,
that and inertia.

Mike