This is odd.  I noticed that I hadn't seen update-manager in a long time
on my laptop.  I also thought I should upgrade to a newer version of
Ubuntu.  So I tried running "sudo update-manager" from the terminal, but
it only showed the following message and then stopped working:

---------------begin message on next line-------------------------------
An unresolvable problem occurred while initializing the package information.

Please report this bug against the 'update-manager' package and include the following error message:

'E:Encountered a section with no Package: header, E:Problem with MergeList /var/lib/apt/lists/us.archive.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_natty_main_binary-i386_Packages, E:The package lists or status file could not be parsed or opened.'
--------------end message on previous line------------------------------

When I look at this file...

/var/lib/apt/lists/us.archive.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_natty_main_binary-i386_Packages

...I see a bunch of information about a hotel I stayed in, in late June
2011.  Every file in that directory has a date stamp from within the same
minute from the morning of June 27, 2011, and every file with "ubuntu.com"
in the filename has "Inn on the Park" in it -- the name of the hotel I was
staying in.

I would have reported this bug, but I don't know how to do it and Ubuntu
didn't bother to tell me, so I don't know if they really want to know.
Also, I'm thinking it might be easier to just do a fresh install of 12.04.
The fresh install should cure other weird problems I've had that might
have been caused by upgrading from Netbook Remix to more newer versions of
Ubuntu (specifically, I cannot launch Terminal from the launcher menu and
I cannot fix it, nor could Brian [of Penguins Unbound] fix it).

Mike