On Thu, 1 Mar 2012, Olwe Bottorff wrote:

> I'm doing this because I just wanted to get some practice in for what my
> real task is, which is to clone one machine's drive onto another new
> machine. My original Ubuntu 11.01 machine has a 160 gb drive, the target
> will be 250 gb.

If you use dd for this, you'll end up wasting 90gb of diskspace.

There are probably auto-cloners, but I'd partition the new drive, then
mount each partition and use cpio to clone the files to it. Then boot from
a USB drive/live CD and reinstall the boot loader. That's a very basic
overview, let me know if you want more detail.

-Yaron