On Thu, 1 Mar 2012, Olwe Bottorff wrote:

> I'm trying to low-level a 100 gb drive. It's in an external caddy and
> mounted on /dev/sdb. I ran this command:
>
> >sudo dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sdb

First, the bs= option Josh mentioned is great. Use that.

Second, if you do a ps and find the PID for the dd process and send it a
kill -USR1, it'll print out the current status.

Third, and my favourite, install pv (you can apt-get it under ubuntu) and
pipe the dd commands through it, like this:

    dd if=/dev/zero bs=1K | pv | dd of=/dev/sdb

This will give you a progress indicator while dd is running.

Note that if you're sudoing one of the dd commands, you may need to sudo
the other, too.

-Yaron