Eric Crist:
> On Jul 15, 2012, at 21:47:51, Brian Wood wrote:
>
>> Eric Crist:
>> > I agree with this, though the cat part isn't needed:
>> >
>> > sed "s/MD5SUM_GOES_HERE/`md5sum direct.tar.bz2`/g" template.html >
output.html

>> I'm not sure that would work very well.  It seems if I wanted to make
>> changes not related to the checksum in the html file, I'd have to
>> update the template file and then run sed to get the updates over
>> to the final file.
>

> I don't understand what you mean.  If I do, then yes.  Your template file
is where all your changes belong.  The sed command
> (or a manual one-off cut/paste) is done to update the checksum.
>
> If you're updating both the HTML and the checksum often, you need
something a bit more dynamic, I think, like a CGI script.

I don't get it either.  If I update template.html how does that update make
it
to output.html other than by running sed?  I'd rather not have to run sed
to get
updates out that aren't related to the checksum.

Originally when I asked I thought maybe there's an html tag that
would take a file name and embed the file's contents into the page,
but I guess that doesn't exist.

--
Brian Wood
Ebenezer Enterprises