On Jul 15, 2012, at 21:47:51, Brian Wood wrote:

> Eric Crist:
> > I agree with this, though the cat part isn't needed:
> >
> > sed "s/MD5SUM_GOES_HERE/`md5sum direct.tar.bz2`/g" template.html > output.html
>
> I'm not sure that would work very well.  It seems if I wanted to make
> changes not related to the checksum in the html file, I'd have to
> update the template file and then run sed to get the updates over
> to the final file.

I don't understand what you mean.  If I do, then yes.  Your template file is where all your changes belong.  The sed command (or a manual one-off cut/paste) is done to update the checksum.

If you're updating both the HTML and the checksum often, you need something a bit more dynamic, I think, like a CGI script.

-----
Eric F Crist