I'm curious.  Lightweight distros provide AbiWord and Gnumeric instead of OpenOffice/LibreOffice, and I've noticed that more and more distros are doing this in order to keep the ISO file small enough to fit onto a CD.

I use LibreOffice, because it can do just about everything that Microsoft Office can do.  AbiWord and Gnumeric just can't quite cut it.

I've been providing OpenOffice in most editions of Swift Linux.  The new Minty Swift Linux I'm working on will include LibreOffice in most editions.  (Diet Swift Linux will have AbiWord and Gnumeric instead of LibreOffice.)  I insist on providing OpenOffice/LibreOffice because word processing and spreadsheets are one of the most widely used applications among computer users, and there are very few alternatives.  I prefer to skimp on the applications that only a small percentage of people use.  (That's why I omit chat programs, Nano, Vim, Samba, foreign language fonts, servers, and other more obscure applications.  I omit Thunderbird because there are so many alternatives, such as web-based email, Sylpheed, and other solutions.)

--
Jason Hsu <jhsu802701 at jasonhsu.com>