On Wed, Jan 25, 2012 at 9:41 AM, John Meier <john.meier at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sun, Jan 22, 2012 at 6:07 PM, Mike Miller <mbmiller+l at gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> Are many of you using MythTV?  I don't know much about it.  I'm thinking
>> it would be great to have a computer-based way of programming to record TV
>> shows, and I think MythTV does that.  Do I need a special card for the
>> computer to be able to take in digital info from an antenna?  How would you
>> recommend I get started?
>>
>> Mike
>>

> I've been running mythtv for a long, long time.  I like LinHes which is
> based on Arch.  It used to be called Knoppmyth, as a few versions ago it
> was based on Knoppix.
>
> 3 years ago we ditched Directv and went OTA w/ a HDHomerun unit - setup
> was a snap (I really hated the homemade serial cable and script I had to
> use to change channels on the DirecTv STB).
>
> I now run a frontend/backend machine in the downstairs family room - it's
> got a couple Tb of disk space and a front end in the upstairs tv area.  I
> also netboot off the downstairs unit in my office (another frontend).
>
> I'd recommend at least a P4 and a Nvidia card - Microcenter has a Geforce
> 210 (fanless) made by Zotac for around $48 - plus there's a $15 mail in
> rebate.
>
> I'm currently building 2 frontends right now - so hit me up if you need
> help!
>
> Peace
> john

Oh - forgot to add this bit:

I picked up 2 of these machines via the Jobs foundation auction:
http://www.k-bid.com/cgi-bin/mnlist.cgi?klosteria64/6
They make great little myth boxes - they are pretty quiet and the
integrated intel video was able to play back recorded programs (although it
had problems with some ripped movies I have).

Keep your eye on the auctions as I picked up 2 of the above boxes for under
$55 each  (I thought it was a pretty good deal!)