On Jan 23, 2012 2:02 AM, "Mike Miller" <mbmiller+l at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sun, 22 Jan 2012, Jeff Jensen wrote:
>
>> To get started, have a server with a lot of free disk space (you know
>> video is huge), order HDHomeRun, setup MythTV.
>

> The Silicon Dust site says 4-8 GB/hour.  Does that sound right?  I have a
few TB of space on several drives, so I should be OK for awhile, maybe even
until the HDD prices come back down to where they were this summer.

Yes, correct.  Recordings tend to build up, so the more space you have the
less house cleaning needed!

>> For us, I ran a 25 foot VGA/audio cable from the family room PC to the
big screen.

>> We use MythWeb for our scheduling interaction, and MythTV Player for
watching (it's a windoze pc).

> I have an Ubuntu box hooked up to my HDTV via DVI-to-HDMI cable.  It's
working great for watching DVD ISOs and web stuff.  So I guess I have that
part solved.

> There will be plenty more to figure out.

Indeed!  The initial Myth config/setup can have some frustrations and take
time.  The better you know *nix, the easier it is.
It is a hobbyists system, not an end-user system.  For example, last year
when I set up a pvr for my mom, it wasn't myth; I used Windows 7 Media
Center and still used the HDHomeRun (dual tuner model)