I forgot to say I dropped my landline about 6 months ago and use only my
cellphone now. Since I get 0-3 calls a week, I'm using Virgin Mobile
Pay-as-you-go service. Although I'm considering changing to Cricket for
similar service since they charge $1 for any day you use the service,
doesn't matter how long you talk. I think that would extend my budget a
little further and let me make long phone calls during any single day.
But I'd have to get a new phone.....

I was looking at the options for VOIP phone service, starting with Magic
Jack but had made no decision. I'll take a look at that NetTalk service.
Magic Jack now has a stand-alone hardware based system too, sounds like
similar pricing.

If a company sells "phone service", they must support the 911 location
services. When you buy home VOIP service, one of the things you must do
is register the equipment address for use with the 911 system. But if
they don't sell phone service, they don't need to provide 911 info. I
think that is why Google Voice was usually not advertised as phone
service. It is just VOIP service that happens to let you make calls to
outside phone numbers.

Maybe that has changed, but that is the way I understood it a couple
years ago....

I have to say that the main problem I have with Internet-based VOIP
service is that when power fails, so does the phone service. If you drop
power anywhere along the cable/DSL line back to your local head-end, you
loose Internet and VOIP at the same time. I'm not 100% sure it is the
same with DSL service, but since your cable or DSL router probably shut
off when power did, most likely your phone service did too.

OTOH, an old fashion POTS (Plain Old Telephone Service) landline
telephone keeps working because it is powered by batteries at the
central office feeding your area. I'm not saying that DSL service didn't
quit, I don't remember for sure, but I could still pick up the POTS
phone and get a dial tone as long as the wires were not broken.

If you want to have phone service in an emergency or disaster situation,
POTS phone service is the way to go. In any major emergency you SHOULD
NOT rely on your cellphone for emergency aid. In any really major event,
cell towers go down or simply become overloaded by too many people
trying to use them and not enough circuits. In a major event, like the
I-35 bridge collapse a few years ago, the big news organizations come in
and the first thing they do is dial up several cellphones so they have a
permanent connection to their studio. And they don't hang up till they
go home.

If you chew up 10-20-30 circuits that way, there is little enough for
the rest of us (and emergency officials) to use. Remember, the
capability of any specific cell tower is based on the daily expected
usage by people in the area, plus a small factor for peak use. Just
because it is "the phone company" doesn't mean the resources are
unlimited. When power failed on the eastern seacoast a few years ago,
people couldn't call out on their cellphones, but they were able to send
text messages because text requires a lot less bandwidth.

Doug.