On Sat, 21 Jan 2012, G Scott Walters wrote:

> My household currently has local phone service with CenturyLink. Like
> most people, we make most of our calls on our mobile phones. The primary
> reason I've not considered going without a land line, is for 911
> service. I have two kids, and would prefer that they are able to pickup
> a regular handset, than try to find a prepaid cell phone in a drawer
> somewhere.

I'll recommend something you might like.  I went for maybe 7 years without
a landline, but then decided I wanted one, mostly because I was getting
poor reception with my cell phone in my home.  I decided to try an
internet phone option.

I tried Magic Jack first, on a friend's recommendation, and I didn't like
it.  It required a Windows box and it made ads pop up.  If the Windows box
was turned off, you couldn't receive a call.

Next I tried NetTalk Duo.  That plugs between router and phone and uses no
computer.  There's nothing to it.  It works great but there's a little
delay due to digital/analog conversion that makes quick back-and-forth
conversations a little tricky, but I'm used to that.  The sound quality is
great.  I use Google Voice -- another great thing, in my book, and free --
so that people call my Google Voice number and I can answer with my cell,
my NetTalk home phone or my office phone.  The Google Voice voicemail is
amazing, so I use it even for calls that go directly to my cell phone.

The NetTalk Duo is available now for $50 in the first year, which includes
the device, and $30 for each additional year.  That's only $2.50/mo after
you've paid for the device and you pay nothing for calls anywhere in the
US.  For international calls I use Google Voice -- it gives us an
excellent price with no extra charges (unlike calling cards which have
*always* chopped our minutes short).

Anyway, I just wanted to recommend that because it has been very nice for
us.  I don't work for NetTalk or Google and I don't know anyone who does.
It's just a nice combination of services.

Regarding 911 -- I'm sure there was something I was supposed to do to
register my number.  I don't remember what it was and I probably didn't do
it.  I should look into that.

Best,
Mike