You can get a "basic phone line"  through Century Link for I believe $15.99.

The FCC limits how much phone companies can charge for basic service.

But that has no long distance, no caller id, etc.

It would be a real phone line and you could make and receive local calls
too.

Just though thought.

On a side note, most people don't know about basic cable either.  You can
get just the local channels for about the same cost through Comcast.  Good
for people on a tight budget without a good antenna. :)

Matt