On Fri, Jan 20, 2012 at 2:17 PM, Mike Miller <mbmiller+l at gmail.com> wrote:

> But seriously -- regarding /dev/zero -- does anyone think there are any
> *real* worries about data recovery after you've filled the drive with zeros?

Yes.  I once used a tool (Ontrack maybe?) that found bits of file
structures after wiping with /dev/zero.  Ever since then, I rely on no
less than a 3 pass DBAN wipe.

>  I know if I was working on a secret project at Microsoft, I wouldn't fill
> my old drive with zeros and then hand it to developers at Apple or Oracle,
> but if we're talking about giving a personal hard drive to someone who just
> wants to use it in their personal computer, isn't use of /dev/zero plenty?

I trust no one, but I'm weird that way.

> Jeremy pointed out that /dev/urandom would use random bits.  I would think
> that /dev/urandom would be a better choice than /dev/zero.  Is there any
> reason to prefer /dev/zero?  In other words, isn't this a really good
> answer:
> dd if=/dev/urandom of=/dev/<drive>
> Is it really even necessary to do that twice?

In theory, alternating bit patterns mask magnetic signatures better
than a single stream of 0s.  Multiple passes increase the masking
effect and make software based recovery impossible.  If I don't have
DBAN handy, I'll usually do two passes of urandom and one pass of
zeros.  It makes me feel better for some reason.  Irrational paranoia
is fun sometimes.

> To properly mess up that drive, can I just do this?:
> dd if=/dev/urandom of=/dev/sdb

Can and should.  As others have stated, this whacks the whole
partition table, boot sector, and of course all areas of the drive
with data.

Brian