One caveat.  You will probably need to boot from a stand alone CD to wipe with dd.  Once you wipe the part of the disk with the binary for dd or the swap file, strange and wondrous things will happen.

/dev/sdb is the whole drive include the boot sector, the partition table and the partitions.

I have long believed that the ancient Egyptians didn't invent mummification.  They invented Twinkies.

---
Wayne Johnson,                         | There are two kinds of people: Those
3943 Penn Ave. N.          | who say to God, "Thy will be done,"
Minneapolis, MN 55412-1908 | and those to whom God says, "All right,
(612) 522-7003                         | then,  have it your way." --C.S. Lewis