If your internal wireless card doesn't let you share wifi via the
wifi, find a supported USB wifi adapter. I have a couple Linksys USB
wifi adapters that I've used for this. Then connect the laptop's
internal wifi to the hotel's wifi and setup ad-hoc or AP mode on the
USB wifi, setup your NAT and routing rules, and away you go. A Mac
laptop should be able to do this out of the box. Windows 7 can as well
if you can find the right command lines to make it work, otherwise
Connectify http://www.connectify.me makes it simple to setup on
Windows. I honestly would have to look up how to set it up on Linux.
All my Linux use over the past few years has been command line only...
:)

Alternatively, find a wall-wart Access Point/Router like the Apple Air
Port Express. I have an older (and discontinued) Linksys router that I
traveled with (http://amzn.to/wY6bXZ) when I was on the road for
business. Thankfully there are lots of travel routers to be found:
http://amzn.to/w0gKqs.

The travel routers will generally let you convert wifi to ethernet, or
share an ethernet drop via wifi. Very handy in Hiltons and other
hotels that charge you for internet access, and I've found it tends to
be more reliable as well to use the room's ethernet jack and share it
via my own travel router than deal with everyone else on the wifi
network. In some cases I was able to stream Netflix or play an online
game via the room's ethernet and my router where doing so over the
hotels wifi just wouldn't work. Also was nice to be able to use my
iPod Touch or iPhone on wifi without having to pay for access for each
device.

--
Andrew S. Zbikowski | http://andy.zibnet.us
IT Outhouse Blog Thing | http://www.itouthouse.com