>Subject: Re: [tclug-list] Linux network for local library?
>
>Sounds like you're looking for something along the lines of Linux
>Terminal Server Project: http://www.ltsp.org. These days, a good i5 or
>i7 based machine could easily deal with a handful of clients. You
>could even send all your net traffic through Squid+SquidGuard if you
>had to deal with requirments for filtering on the same box. A simple
>rsync between your primary system and standby computer for redundancy,
>add a heartbeat program for automated failover. Toss in something like
>CrashPlan for offsite and onsite backup and all bases should be more
>or less covered.

Yeah, maybe the cloud server is a bit premature. Just a local box will probably do it.

>How do you want ot deal with accounts? Are you looking at local
>accounts, or did you want to do something more complex like LDAP,
>Active Directory, Open Directory, etc?

Just accounts.

>Do you want users to actaully log into the system under a user, or do
>they only need to hit a web portal to authenticate?

I want them to have a real Linux account.

>Should patrons be able to access USB flash drives attached to thin
>clients, or will any files created be stored on the server and only
>accessable through your system, or do you want to only have termporay
>files that are cleared when the user logs off?

They'd have their own storage, settings, customizations, etc.

Actually, I've suggested this to the library . . . and I'll wait for a response before I start doing anything. Thanks for all your info -- so far.

Olwe
GM,MN