I'm looking to set up a bind96 DNS server at the office and have it phone updates to the corporate server (local traffic over VPN).

I figure that, from past experience, a BIND daemon is the best bet but I am open to other solutions.

I cannot change the circumstances of the Windows Server environment but I might be able to make minor changes.

So here's the lowdown:

We have domain.local running in 2008 DNS.

I want to make office.domain.local run from a DNS server at my office. We have a DHCP server and I'm not sure yet if I want to use the NETBIOS name as a hostname but I'd like to be open to both that and something like host125-host174 to cover 192.168.46.125-174 (our DHCP pool).

I don't need to receive updates from the AD DNS but that would be a cool option to have. I just need to have my DNS server's details be sent to the AD DNS for resolution purposes without having to manually update the DNS.

Any ideas? Thoughts? Pointers?

Thanks!

--
Ryan