Its probably a permissions issue with the device then as you
suspected. you may also have to give www-data  permission to write to
/var/www for testing which is not recommended, but it that works you
can first 'cd' to a directory where www-data does have permission to
create a directory -or- see if there is a command line option to
change the location that the command uses for temporary files. the
error logs should shed some lite on what is tripping it up.
exec ('cd /tmp/');
exec("cvlc dvb:// :dvb-adapter=1 :no-video --sout ...