Mike,
I'm not sure how important processing power is for you. I purchased a
refurbished Thinkpad T61 off of eBay a little over a year ago, and I've
been very happy with it. It has a Core 2 Duo processor, and 2GB of RAM.

Here is one similar:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lenovo-ThinkPad-T61p-Notebook-2-4Ghz-2GB-RAM-100GB-HD-DVD-RW-nVidia-1680x1050-/170957588527?pt=Laptops_Nov05&hash=item27cdddc82f

It has a 1680x1050 display.

The LCD market has gotten a little screwy in the past few years as TVs and
computer monitors have converged to use the same "glass." That's why you
see so much 1080 vertical resolution stuff. You used to be able to get 1200
vertical pixel stuff but now that's hard to find. I have a 24" display
that's 1920x1200 from a few years ago, that I paid $400 for. You just don't
see those anymore though. Hopefully with the retina displays we'll see
pixel densities go up again.

Anyway, if you're looking for something solid, with a good display,
consider one of those old T61s. You can find pretty good prices on them.

Good luck!

-Erik