Ubuntu installs great on HP or Dell.  I have Ubuntu, Centos 5.2, Linux Mint 11 on my laptops...on HP 6910's, Dell Lattitue D630 & D410.  They work great.

Eric
----- Original Message -----
From: Mike Miller <mbmiller+l at gmail.com>
Sent: Fri, 14 Dec 2012 11:13:29 -0600 (CST)
Subject: Re: [tclug-list] HP Pavilions and Linux

Thanks for all the tips on the HP laptops.  The problems with general
flimsiness and loud, unstoppable fans are also reflected in these comments
(on the model I'm considering):

http://www.amazon.com/HP-G7-2022us-LED-Backlit-Processor-Technology/product-reviews/B008QDJUI6/

When I see two comments in two days both essentially saying "I don't know
what those other guys are talking about," I wonder if HP put them up to
it.

I still have an old Dell Latitude D800 from 10 years ago that works today.
It cost almost $3000 back then!  So durability and longevity are
important.

Mike