I'm not sure about the specific model you mention Mike (Miller). I've had several HP laptops over the years. HP's in general seem to be very good about running Linux. Overheating is most certainly one of the biggest problems that I've seen. We've had at least 5 HP laptops, and only had a hardware failure (exhaust fan which I fixed, that was on the windoze laptop).

Overall, I prefer HP's to some other manufacturers because of Linux, Ubuntu in particular, seems to work better with far less hassles.

Just my 2 cents...

----- Original Message -----

From: "Michael Moore" <stuporglue at gmail.com>
Sent: Thursday, December 13, 2012 11:24:48 PM
Subject: Re: [tclug-list] HP Pavilions and Linux

On Thu, Dec 13, 2012 at 11:09 PM, Mike Miller <mbmiller+l at gmail.com> wrote:
> I found an HP Pavilion g7-2022us for $500, which seems like a good-enough
> deal, but I plan to just overwrite the Windows OS with Ubuntu. I'm
> wondering if any of you have experience with these HP Pavilions. Do they
> run OK with Ubuntu or other Linuxes? Are there any sticking points?

My last laptop was an HP Pavilion dv7t-4100.

Linux-wise, it was great. No problems with Linux or drivers.

The computer itself was terrible. I had one hinge replaced once under
warranty, and at about 20 months it was starting to get loose again
when I bought a new laptop.

It always had problems with overheating and extremely loud fans. I
couldn't even rip DVDs with handbrake because encoding to H.264 would
make it overheat and shut down. This wasn't a Linux issue -- same
problem existed in Windows and Linux.

Some letters on the keyboard wore off in just over a year, and a one
of the keyboard spring broke through normal use.

I have a hard time believing that they're all as crummy as the one I
ended up with but I wasn't happy with it and I will never buy an HP
laptop again. My P4 HP desktop is 5 or 6 years old now and still
running strong though.

--
Michael Moore