On Thu, Dec 13, 2012 at 11:09 PM, Mike Miller <mbmiller+l at gmail.com> wrote:
> I found an HP Pavilion g7-2022us for $500, which seems like a good-enough
> deal, but I plan to just overwrite the Windows OS with Ubuntu.  I'm
> wondering if any of you have experience with these HP Pavilions.  Do they
> run OK with Ubuntu or other Linuxes?  Are there any sticking points?

My last laptop was an HP Pavilion dv7t-4100.

Linux-wise, it was great. No problems with Linux or drivers.

The computer itself was terrible.  I had one hinge replaced once under
warranty, and at about 20 months it was starting to get loose again
when I bought a new laptop.

It always had problems with overheating and extremely loud fans. I
couldn't even rip DVDs with handbrake because encoding to H.264 would
make it overheat and shut down. This wasn't a Linux issue -- same
problem existed in Windows and Linux.

Some letters on the keyboard wore off in just over a year, and a one
of the keyboard spring broke through normal use.

I have a hard time believing that they're all as crummy as the one I
ended up with but I wasn't happy with it and I will never buy an HP
laptop again. My P4 HP desktop is 5 or 6 years old now and still
running strong though.

--
Michael Moore