On Wed, Dec 5, 2012 at 10:25 PM, Brian Wood <woodbrian77 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Am still looking for some other examples.

Examples of services using ssh tunnelling or examples of how services
accept user-submitted ssh public keys?

Perhaps it would be easier for you to give us your use case so we can
better understand what you're trying to do.

> When I start a tunnel, 3 ssh related processes show up.
> When I kill the tunnel, those 3 processes go away.
> Can someone tell me why 3 processes are used and if
> there's a way to reduce it to 2 processes?

I'm not sure what version of the OpenSSH server you're running, but on
all the systems I have access to, each new ssh connection only spawns
two new processes: one owned by root and one by the user I
authenticated as:

erik at host:~$ ps aux | grep -v grep | grep ssh | grep erik
root     26628  0.0  0.2  73360  3572 ?        Ss   23:10   0:00 sshd:
erik [priv]
erik     26759  0.0  0.0  73360  1668 ?        S    23:10   0:00 sshd:
erik at pts/0

The root-owned process is the parent, and serves as the broker between
the user-owned process which deals with untrusted connections and the
rest of the system.

Out of curiosity, why are you so concerned with the number of
processes OpenSSH is using?

-Erik