 > Based on your most recent message to the list, I'm assuming you made
 > some progress?  Did you figure anything out?  I was having problems
 > with this device several years ago and eventually gave up.

I wish...

I finally opened the unit up and found the following:

It has 3 main chips:

ISSI IS42S32200C1-6TL

        RKT2540001 0613

MICRONAS G070075B

                    UABG01

                    HJ5C7-00M

                     03302006

(No maker listed) CY7C68013A

                              100AXC 0613

                              B 04 626114

Found someone on another list that knew a lot about the Dazzle. Turns
out the newer chips in my 170 are not supported very well, but the older
units are supposed to work pnp.

I managed to get my HVR-1950 to work with ivtv-utils and cat.

That unit is part of my mythtv setup and I don't really want to mess
with it, so I just ordered a Hauppauge WinTV-PVR-USB2 29032 Rev D158
off of ebay, which is supposed to also work well with Linux.