To me this seems like a very common situation these days, so I'm not sure
why I can't find a very straightforward answer on how to proceed.  I also
don't know why the Ubuntu installer can't navigate this situation
automagically.

I'm installing a RAID1 with two 3TB drives, almost all of the volume is in
the first partition, /, and about 35 GB is swap.  I tried to use cfdisk to
partition the disks, but that did not work because they are larger than
2TB.  So I used parted, then gparted to make the partitions "raid" type,
then mdadm, and it all looked good.  I did all that from the Ubuntu 12.04
live CD (but had to install mdadm).  I had to do that because the 2TB
limit for fdisk is because of DOS label, and to get beyond that I had to
use the GPT label.

Next I went to the Ubuntu 12.04 Alternate CD (both CDs were AMD 64) and
did the installation into the / partition, using ext4.  That went great up
until near the last step when it tried to install GRUB in the Master Boot
Record (MBR).  That step failed, returning this message:

Unable to install GRUB in /dev/sda
Executing 'grub-install /dev/sda' failed
This is a fatal error.

Everything was being installed to /dev/md0 (/) and /dev/md1 was swap.

Apparently, GPT is an alternative to MBR, so that could have something to
do with grub-install failing to install GRUB to the MBR.  (Ya think?).
So I'm not even sure of why I tried, but I didn't know what else to do at
5 am yesterday morning after fighting with this thing all last night!
Now I'm back at it.  I decided to continue the Ubuntu installation after
the failed step.  I see this message:

"No boot loader has been installed, either because you chose not to or
because your specific architecture doesn't support a boot loader yet.

"You will need to boot manually with the /vmlinuz kernel on partition
/dev/md0 and root=/dev/md0 passed as a kernel argument."

That to me is completely incomprehensible.  Do they mean that I should
boot from a USB or CD?  Then do what, exactly?  Google gives so much
that's just all over the map that I don't know what to do with it.

If I run the Live CD, I can't see the /dev/md0 or /dev/md1 RAID1
partitions and if I run the Alternate CD, which handles RAID, it doesn't
have the Live CD feature.

I hope one of you will have an idea.  Thanks.

Mike