On Wed, Apr 25, 2012 at 03:15, Mike Miller <mbmiller+l at gmail.com> wrote:
> I wonder why Unity is a big issue -- can't we install whatever we want and
> us it?  For example, KDE or Gnome - just choose one at login?  I used to do
> that in Solaris about 12 years ago and it wasn't too big of a deal. Isn't it
> easy to do that with Ubuntu, too?

Two things:

1.  People like to get bent out of shape about defaults.

2.  While it is easy to install Gnome (or more accurately,
gnome-shell, as most of Gnome is already there), it is not possible to
install Gnome 2.x, as that has been deprecated upstream for the new
3.x line.  Since this change coincided with the introduction of Unity,
a lot of people don't really understand what happened in the Gnome
project itself and freak out that they can't have the same interface
they used to.

 - Tony