On Tue, 27 Sep 2011, Justin Krejci wrote:

> Sorry but you CAN do awk, grep, perl, ssh, etc on windows. Sure much of
> that may not be included with the base OS install media but all the
> packages and software I want on a linux system isn't always there
> either.

First, are you saying that awk, grep, perl, are is sometimes included in a
base Windows install?

I'm sure that it is possible sometimes to get the Admin to install such
things for you.  Right now ours is contemplating whether they will honor
our request to install CopSSH so that we can use sshfs.  If they allow
that, then maybe we can persuade them to install those other things for
us.

I suppose it is possible to create a UNIX/Linux server that doesn't have
awk, grep, etc., but nobody does that.  So when the file server was a
Linux machine, all was well -- we had everything we wanted.  Everything
just worked.  Now with Windows, nothing works.  In fact, despite fairly
considerable effort, we are not yet able to mount any CIFS directory
share.

> I don't know what the status is of the latest features of Samba are but
> full AD capabilities, group policies, RO-domain controllers, etc are
> some very useful and sometimes required features that are lacking in
> Samba/linux

Apparently, as I said, the problem was not that Linux was lacking features
but that it was slow.  That was all.  I really just want to find a way to
make it faster and not learn how to accept life with Windows.

I was hoping *not* to hear a series of comments essentially saying, "I,
for one, accept our Microsoft overlords."

> That being said I wish the functionality/spec was opened up by MS but
> that is not their way of course.

That is one of the reasons I don't want to use MS software.  Did you read
the link about Samba 4?  That made it sound like they are trying to share
more details of their specs.

Mike