From: Mike Miller <mbmiller+l at gmail.com>
Sender: tclug-list-bounces at mn-linux.org
Date: Tue, 27 Sep 2011 14:08:55
Subject: Re: [tclug-list] Linux to Windows file server migration - ouch!

On Tue, 27 Sep 2011, Andrew S. Zbikowski wrote:

> If Samba is doing AD integrated authentication to a domain controller
> that isn't on your local subnet this can also cause Samba to be
> dreadfully slow, even with full Kerberos authentication working on the
> Windows client and Linux server. Whatever Windows does differently in
> this situation works. Based on how AD was structured when I worked at
> the U my guess is this could be the culprit. I was never able to find a
> fix other than get a local DC or move to a Windows file server. Samba on
> Mac OSX has the same issue.

Thanks for that idea.  I'll see what I can find out.

> I don't see it as a step in either direction. A properly administrated
> Windows server works as well as a properly administrated Linux server.

I don't agree.  Linux allows us to do a gazillion things we can't do on
Windows: ssh, sshfs, grep, awk, perl, etc.  So far we can't get anything
to work with Windows.  The fake case-insensitivity of the Windows file
system also causes problems.

Linux can easily run for a year without a reboot, but I haven't seen a
Windows box that can do that.

In fact, I can't think of a single reason to prefer a Windows server to a
Linux server except that it seems to be faster at serving files to a
Windows client.  What I want to do is fix that on the Linux server.

Mike