On Mon, 5 Sep 2011, Jason Hsu wrote:

> My only complaints about Ubuntu 11.04 are its relatively slow operation
> (even with 2 GB of RAM) and the LONG time needed to install.

If you're still running it in a virtual machine, well. Yeah, it's slow.
It's in a virtual machine. Run it on my desktop and it'll be blazing fast
even with Gnome. Then again, so would Windows 7.

Nowadays, even cheap computers come with more than 2gb of RAM, and nobody
really expects any current OS to work REALLY well with less than 8. If
you're going to run Ubuntu on old hardware (even if it's simulated) you
should try a desktop environment that was actually designed for that sort
of thing. Remember, Gnome (and KDE etc) are being developed to give
CURRENT users a CURRENT desktop environment - and that means a lot of
flashy lights and eye candy and bells and whistles - things that will take
advantage of your 24gb of RAM and your quad-core CPU and your SLI video
cards, etc, and might be kinda sucky without them.

Switch your Ubuntu to Window Maker or FVWM, use Chrome instead of Firefox
(or better yet, get Firefox 3), use Pine rather than Evolution and use an
xterm/aterm instead of whatever abominable GUI-based file manager Gnome
throws at you, and trust me, it'll be a HELL of a lot faster.

-Yaron