> > For me this is the third time in a row that an Ubuntu upgrade has broken
> > things that had been previously working on my system (audio again and
> > wireless this time).
> >
> > Maybe it does better on a fresh install, but I'm less impressed than I
> > was with their first few releases.
>
> Same here.  Recent "upgrades" always break something that wasn't broke
> before.  This time just annoying so far: I lost an optional
> wallpaper I liked, and maybe more I haven't discovered yet.  I still
> prefer a major distribution like Ubuntu that has a large
> installed base and significant depth of support.

the only safe upgrade is no upgrade.  some distros have a better track
record with upgrades than others but none can claim no bumps.  installers
do, tho, now make it way easier than it used to be to install fresh,
alongside the original.  that's the safe way.  of course you need juggle
partitions or lvm to make space.  once it's all seems hunkie dorie for
awhile you can discard the obsolete volume.  i was impressed that the 11.10
installer spelled right out that i have xp and 10.4 already installed,
would i like to replace one of those or something else.  too bad it crashed
later.  glad i was installing alongside..