On Wed, 26 Oct 2011, Yaron wrote:

> The /real/ answer is that, sadly, you can't. If your mom (and millions
> upon millions of other people) see value in using Facebook, they will
> use it. As far as they're concerned, it's a free service, though you and
> I know they're actually the merchandise.
>
> Personally I'd just sit back and wait for facebook to implode.

We can see the value in the free-to-us service provided by Facebook, but
the cost is hidden.  It's hidden well enough that I, an inveterate
Facebooker, don't know what it is.  Will I be sorry someday?  What is
going to happen to me?  I see the advertisements and I guess that's part
of the price I'm paying, but that doesn't bother me.  Should it?  It's
like that with Google, too.

I'm not poo-pooing the privacy issue.  I really don't see what can go
wrong for me, so I'm asking.

Mike