Quoting J Cruit <j at packetgod.com>:

> I've been doing my best to avoid reading this topic and instead have
> been concentrating on trying to like the new Unity interface.  And
> nope, even in 11.10 I still hate it.  I went back to fluxbox and have
> been having fun learning it over again, it is very pretty and
> minamilistic.  I'm also going to take the advice of this list and try
> out the mint and see how it suits me.
>
> Oh and if it sounds like I'm trying to change the topic well you are
> dead on.  If you guys want to keep ranting on about non linux stuff
> I'll suggest some new topics: I <3 abortions and drowning kittens.
> Discuss (somewhere else please).
>
> If you want to rant about linux stuff then BSD sucks, VI rules
> forever, and I just top posted this (in your face!) Flame on!
>
> --j
>
> On Sat, Oct 22, 2011 at 11:44 PM, Mike Miller <mbmiller+l at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Sat, 22 Oct 2011, Brian Wood wrote:
>>
>>> I'd like to encourage people to get out of debt and stay out of it. I've
>>> not had a debit or credit card for over 8 years and haven't missed them. I
>>> lost my wallet last year and thankfully it was found and returned to me.
>>>  While it was missing I was hardly preturbed.  In part that was because I
>>> didn't have to call a bunch of banks and tell them I lost my cards.  If you
>>> like sleeping with Rattle Snakes keep doing business with Citi and others
>>> like them.
>>

>> I have been avoiding using credit cards lately.  I carry more cash and I use
>> it for my purchases around town.  It helps the local businesses.
>>
>> Mike

I'm actually thankful for this thread since it lead me to learn about
Eben Moglen, which I find odd that no known has ever mentioned him on
this list (at least not that I remember?) yet RMS does not go
unmentioned.

If anyone here has watched the video Freedom in the cloud - to me it's
really encouraging to hear such a profound man speak up for civil
liberties and get to learn about his life's long work to achieve this
through free software.

What I take away from watching these videos is partly, if not
entirely, the reason we have free software today is due to the
*activism* (for civil liberties) and persistence by RMS, Eben Moglen,
Phil Zimmermann (the list goes on...) and not capitalism as some like
to think.

Eben Moglen - Freedom in The Cloud
http://youtu.be/QOEMv0S8AcA

Eben Moglen: How I discovered Free Software and met RMS
http://youtu.be/uKxzK9xtSXM

Philip Zimmermann on PGP
http://youtu.be/Ka7BqjmaWJA