I can't answer the second two, but a lot of Android phones can USB-tether
or even create a WiFi hotspot. I can do it with my N1 with Cyanogenmod
installed, and then use my laptop to go online from that. If you're in an
area with decent reception (i.e., downtown Minneapolis) you can get pretty
decent bandwidth.

I hear Sprint and Verizon somehow detect and nuke that unless you pay
them, but I've had no problems at all doing this with t-mobie.

As a point of clarification, though, you're not really looking for WiFi -
I'm fairly sure any laptop you get today will have that built-in. A data
card from Verizon/AT&T/T-Mobie/whoever will actually be using their
cellular network, not WiFi.