When I'm moving a directory and I want EVERYTHING (including dot files and
files not readable by root) I create a tar file for the directory, move the
tarfile, then extract it at the destination.  tar picks up every file
(including files owned by root with mode 4111), and if you're schlepping the
bits over a network the I/O is much more efficient and you can save a lot of
time.

I don't think I'd waste time with the MD5s in rsync.

Moving binaries across from one revision of the Kernel (and libc/libstdc++)
to another can be dicey.  It will usually work, but it's not guaranteed to.

-Rob