It seemed like just yesterday that Windows 95 could be installed from 3.5" floppy disks.  (Of course, there were still many computers out there without a CD-ROM.)  Windows XP was the last Windows OS that could be installed from CD.  Vista and 7 can only be installed from a DVD.

Since I've only been using Linux since early 2007, I have no memory of a time when Linux could be installed from floppy disks.  But I remember that back in 2007-2008, all distros could be installed from a CD.  In the last few years, more and more distros have been requiring a DVD.  For example, the latest version of MEPIS Linux requires a DVD, while all previous versions fit onto a CD.  I expect that within a few years, only lightweight distros will fit onto a CD.

This has me wondering how soon it will be before operating systems require a Blu-Ray disc simply because the 4.7 GB of a DVD is too small.  I think there is a slight chance that Windows 8 will require a Blu Ray.  If it doesn't, I think Windows 9 will.

And I think that the biggest BSD distros (like PC-BSD) and Linux distros (like Pinguy) will require Blu Ray in a few years.

I intend to keep the Swift Linux ISO small enough to fit onto a CD for the next several years.  I know I'll have to cave eventually, but I need to make sure that when I do, the last holdouts will be limited to the likes of Puppy Linux, SliTaz, TinyCore, and other distros famous for tiny ISO files.

--
Jason Hsu
Founder and lead developer of Swift Linux http://www.swiftlinux.org