On 11/24/2011 12:29 PM, gk wrote:
> Okay so you would rather be forced to have NO DE choice and no way to
> change it and something that breaks rather consistently?  Thought
> not..
Don't spread FUD. There are choices on Windows. In fact, SharpEnviro is
quite nice...

> And you don't
> like all of KDE4, and you don't like all of LXDE. Choose the parts you
> want! KDE apps run on Gnome, Gnome apps run on KDE, all of it
> ultimately is just a pretty face for /usr/bin/blah when it comes down
> to it making it look pretty for you.
I'm aware of that. I did mention the issues I had with OpenBox and
lxappearance.

> NO desktop except the tilers and
> plain TTY is 'light'; ya I'm gonna get $hit on that but unused RAM is
> wasted RAM and drive space is cheap so I hate the whining I always
> hear from people about it.
Being lightweight is a bonus. I never complained about the RAM/disk
space usage of KDE/Gnome.

> I have tried at least 30, yes 30! DE/WM's  So the only barriers are
> honestly imaginary.
I haven't. Perhaps you could share your wisdom.

> I encourage you run in terminal as much as you can sometimes pkill
> firefox is the only way to stop run away javascript/flash etc versus
> having to hard shutdown a machine because ctrl-alt-del or
> ctrl-alt-prntscr r-e-i-s-u-b won't work; and lose data. If that is a
> critical work environment it's just not acceptable.
I am familiar with many commands, and do plan to expand my knowledge.
However, many times, things are more convenient to do with a GUI, even
if I know how to do it in a terminal.

Mike Miller wrote:
> It was a very trollish query.  I was tempted to recommend that he stick
> with Windows, if he loves it so much.
I'm sorry if I came across that way. I'll put this another way: I want
to move away from Windows and would like help because I do not know
everything. Also, when did I say I loved Windows? I don't see how I even
implied that.