On 11/14/2011 01:00 AM, Mike Miller wrote:
> I've been noticing that about 90% of what I watch comes from local
> channels that I think all have digital broadcasts.  These would be the
> local PBS, ABC, CBS, NBC and Fox stations.  It seems like a bad idea
> to pay $80/mo for DirecTV (HD) if I can get the HD on those stations
> for free over the airwaves and record the content to my computer
> (which is already connected by HDMI to the HDTV)
>
> So I'm wondering if any of you are doing this -- can you get good
> signals over the airwaves with no antenna outside the home?
>
> I'm also wondering about using the Ubuntu box as a DVR.  Apparently
> there is this thing called MythTV, but I don't know much about it,
> yet.  Is it possible to add DVR capability to an ordinary Ubuntu 10.10
> installation?
>
> Mike

Yes.  An outside is best, but and indoor antenna can work well.  Antenna
orientation can be quite important; you may have to rotate it to test
for best reception.  A window will present the least obstruction.

I've had very good success with a variation of the coat hanger antenna:

       http://makeprojects.com/Project/Digital-TV-Coat-Hanger-Antenna/722/1

Instead of coat hangers, I bought four Radio Shack bow-tie antennas and
clipped them to an aluminum tube.  I also built a modified Gray-Hoverman
antenna for a friend who was considering cable:

       http://www.digitalhome.ca/ota/superantenna/design.htm

She wasn't keen on a geeky-looking antenna.  So I formed the antenna
using fine-gauge wire (no reflector arms) and taped it on her window
with transparent tape.  It's almost invisible and her reception is quite
good.