On 11/9/2011 1:44 PM, Jason Hsu cried from the depths of the abyss:
> I think Windows 8 will be a flop and possibly an even bigger fiasco
> than Vista was.  The average Windows user is even more resistant to
> change than the average Linux user is.  Windows 8 will be very
> different from 7 and Vista and be an even bigger shock for people
> still using XP.  Windows Vista was Microsoft's Chevy Vega.  I think
> Windows 8 will be Microsoft's Chevy Citation.

I wouldn't be so sure.  Tablets are becoming more popular for both biz &
personal use.  Smartphones are in almost every pocket already.  Then
there is the desktop.  Put it all together, and that is a pretty cool
situation.

> The big test for Microsoft will come in 2014 as Windows XP support
> ends.  If Microsoft can't hold onto the XP users, it will lose market
> share.  If Microsoft goes down, its decline will be much faster than
> that of General Motors.  Unlike Microsoft, General Motors didn't have
> the everybody-else-uses-it network effect.

Again, I wouldn't be so sure about this either.  Win 7 is pretty solid,
and XP users have been moving over for 2 years now.  The bulk of the
herd will be migrated to Win 7 before you know it.  If Win 8 is a flop
(like vista - which really wasn't that bad at the end of the day), then
much like XP the win 7 users will ride it out until they get it right
with the next release (win 9?).

Desktop market share as of Oct 2011,
M$ has 91.86%.
Mac has 6.94%.
Linux 1.19%

source:
http://marketshare.hitslink.com/operating-system-market-share.aspx?qprid=8&qpcustomd=0

Don't get me wrong I love Linux, but you have to give MS a little
credit.  I don't think M$'s desktop products will be hitting the
toilette anytime soon.

I would be curious to see how the market share looks on the server side.
  To be honest my main focus with Linux since I first started using it
in the 2nd half of the 90's to preset has always been on the server
side.  I think this is, and always has been Linux's strength.