On Wed, Nov 9, 2011 at 1:44 PM, Jason Hsu <jhsu802701 at jasonhsu.com> wrote:

> It seems to me that Windows 8 is following the Ubuntu playbook by aiming
> for both the desktop and mobile markets.  I think the Unity controversy is
> a sneak preview of the reception of Windows 8.
>
> I think Windows 8 will be a flop and possibly an even bigger fiasco than
> Vista was.

I think it really depends on the implementation.  If done right, bringing
mobile-paradigms to the desktop could result in, for the average user,
better models that fit human cognition better.  In "The Humane Interface",
Jef Raskin raves about the Canon Cat from a usability perspective.  I've
been wondering if the mobile, app-centric approach might facillitate some
of the benefits of what the Canon Cat had to offer.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canon_Cat  For this reason I'll probably
eventually give Unity a try.  I'm curious about Gnome 3 now, having read
the original article you linked.

-Rob